Episode 210 - Yule Log
Hi friends and foodies, and welcome to the season finale of Taylor Thyme Season 2!
Some notes before we get started:
- For this recipe we used a stand mixer with the paddle/whisk attachment along with an offset spatula and cake comb
- Baking is a fun adventure for all ages, but kids should always have adult supervision when in the kitchen.
- All ingredients should be used at room temperature.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 6 eggs (Sponge Cake)
- 1 cup sugar (Sponge Cake)
- 1/4 tsp salt (Sponge Cake)
- ¼ tsp vanilla (Sponge Cake)
- 1 cup flour (Sponge Cake)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (Sponge Cake)
- 6 egg yolks pasteurized (Filling)
- ½ cup sugar (Filling)
- ¼ tsp salt (Filling)
- 2 TBSP marsala wine (Filling)
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese (Filling)
- ¾ cup whipped cream (Filling)
- 1 cup butter (Chocolate Buttercream)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (Chocolate Buttercream)
- 2 tsp vanilla (Chocolate Buttercream)
- 3 1/2 cups powder sugar (Chocolate Buttercream)
- 3 TBSP heavy cream (Chocolate Buttercream)
- 4 oz egg whites (Meringue Mushrooms)
- 6oz sugar (Meringue Mushrooms)
For the Sponge Cake
- With an electric mixer, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Whip until ribbon stage. Stir in vanilla. Gradually add in sugar and salt.
- On medium speed add in vanilla.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of flour into mixer and then add in oil. Add in rest of flour.
- Pour onto greased sheet pan and spread evenly with offset spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
For the Filling:
- Add in egg yolks into mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Add in sugar until mixture is light (about 2 minutes).
- Add in salt and marsala wine into the mixer.
- Turn off mixer and add in mascarpone cheese. Mix well until incorporated with no chunks.
- Fold in whipped cream into the mixture.
Take the cake out of the pan and drizzle on coffee syrup (strong coffee + sugar + dark rum) before spreading filling mixture onto cake. Spread filling on cake with offset spatula. Dust with cocoa powder. Roll cake into a log and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For the Chocolate Buttercream:
- Paddle butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in powder sugar and cocoa powder until well incorporated.
- Add in vanilla and heavy cream and paddle until well combined.
- Spread onto log with offset spatula and use a cake comb to make it look like a log.
For the Meringue Mushrooms:
- Mix egg whites and sugar in a mixer until well combined.
- Put mixture into a piping bag and pipe the stems and tops (think cones and round tops).
- Assemble with some melted chocolate to adhere the stems and tops together.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder on top if desired.
To decorate the Yule Log:
Garnish with meringue mushrooms and rosemary if desired. Sprinkle the whole yule log with powder sugar to look like snow if you’d like. Chef Lauren also made little chocolate snowflakes ahead of time. Feel free to get as creative as you’d like!
Be sure to visit Hotel Roanoke this holiday season!
Happy Holidays from Taylor and Blue Ridge PBS ECHO!
Get a printer friendly version the recipe HERE.