Episode 202 - Eggcelent
Hi friends and foodies, and welcome to Taylor Thyme Season 2!
Some notes before we get started:
- For this recipe we used a stand mixer with the paddle attachment but mixing by hand will work just fine.
- You will need piping bags and your choice of decorating tips for the frosting. Get creative and try a fun design!
- Baking is a fun adventure for all ages, but kids should always have adult supervision when in the kitchen.
- All ingredients should be used at room temperature.
You will need the following ingredients:
1 1/3 cup sugar
½ cup butter, softened
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 cup unsalted butter
1 tbsp vanilla
4.5 cups of powdered sugar
1 package (16 ounces) white mini marshmallows
2-5 tablespoons water
2 pounds (about 8 cups) sifted powdered sugar (confectioners' sugar)
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
Icing colors (optional)
Steps for Cake Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking tin with paper liners.
- Add butter to mixing bowl and whip on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar, vanilla extract, and mix until combined.
- Slowly add eggs while mixing on low speed. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and whisk together until combined.
- Add flour mixture and milk to the batter by mixing in approximately 1 cup of flour and ⅓ of the milk at a time, alternating as you go to ensure the batter remains smooth. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Bake for 30 minutes. (Pro tip: check if your cake is done by inserting a toothpick into the center of a cake. If it comes out clean, they’re done!)
- Let cool before decorating.
Steps for Buttercream:
- Add butter mixing bowl and whip on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar slowly to mixture while mixing on medium-low speed until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Decorate as desired
Steps for Fondant:
- Microwave marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds on high and stir until mixed well. Continue to microwave for another 30 seconds and continue that process until fully melted (about 2 minutes)
- Add ¾ of the powdered sugar on top of marshmallow mixture. Fold the sugar into marshmallow mixture.
- Place vegetable shortening in a mixing bowl. Grease hands and counter to prevent sticking to fingers. Start kneading like you would dough. Continue kneading and add additional powdered sugar as necessary.
- Add coloring as desired.
Get a printer friendly version the recipe HERE.